Sunday, January 7, 2007

The eBay Dress (In which a wedding gown is found from an unexpected source)



I am occasionally obsessed with eBay and always in pursuit of a bargain. After attempting dress shopping at David's Bridal (at least to see myself in dresses that fit rather than samples and compare styles) and an underwhelming, overwhelming outlet, I started looking on eBay, just to see what is out there.

And I found a dress. And it was the right size. (I checked the size charts on the designer's website.) And it looked beautiful. When it arrived, it was just as pristine as promised, even if the train was longer than I wanted.

My wedding-gown-to-be was from the Spring 2004 Collection ,by Mon Cheri, and no longer available anywhere. Since I saw many other dresses from that season available elsewhere, I'm going to assume that it was a popular model. (I confirmed with Mon Cheri that the picture did describe a dress they made.) It was listed as NWT (new, with tags). It was being sold for... $175. That's right, $175. The dress was apparently a remainder at a bridal store that someone inherited and was dissolving. It and three more dresses were being sold on eBay for the same price. With shipping and insurance, the total wasn't much more. Eventually, I did have to sink another $375 in for the alterations. But it was gorgeous and fit perfectly in the end.

No comments: