Sunday, October 21, 2007

Knitting success!


As many of you know I am a bit of a frustrated knitter. I work very slowly, and I am easily distracted. With the arrival of cooler temperatures, and a new niece, I found motivation to pick my knitting back up. A pink chenille sweater for the niece is well underway, and I have completed my first project in a LONG time.

Now that I'm teaching more, I feel compelled to wear hats more often, since I get frustrated with kippot (yarmulkes) that slide off my hair. When I checked out the most recent issue of Knitty a few weeks ago, I took note of a simple, adorable hat--Urchin. I love berets, and I'm sort of bored with the plain Parkhurst cotton berets I frequently wear. Unfortunately, I get extremely irritated from wool, which keeps me from buying most of the cute hats I see in stores. Once I picked the Urchin pattern, I needed to find an appropriate yarn with minimal, if any, wool. On eBay, I found Classic Elite Bubbles, a cotton-blend in #2410, a blue tweed. I knitted it on size 10 1/2 needles, even though the pattern calls for size 11.

In less than a week, the hat is done. It fits. I am very happy. Photos will follow.

No comments: